Sunday, February 26, 2006

Black History Month!

Not remembering it's Black History Month, i stumbled onto a couple programs today which reminded me  First this morn i tuned onto the History Channel which was showing Glory   this movie was about the 54th Infantry of the Civil War, the first Black Army    very moving movie even though i got in on the tail end of the movie   must rent it or find it somewhere to view the whole thing   i did watch the documentary immediately following the movie   it was good for me to remember some of our history   how far we have come, yet so far to go....then only a few moments ago, i was tv surf channeling when i landed on NBC    Tom Brokaw was presenting a story of a Black WWII Veteran who eventually was honored with the Medal of Honor    this was about the 92nd Airborne (i think), another group of black soldiers who were the ones involved in Italy's freedom    both stories were just astounding!    they were great history lessons for me to remember....

in between history lessons today, Jimmy and I went off on another hike   went looking for trail 192 (this is the one i've been looking for)   I was on trail 93 yesterday...anyways, i'm pretty confident i found the trailhead   we walked for about 30mins before stumbling on a trail that went upside the mountain   i should had ropes and binders the way the trail was basically straight up   anyways,  we finally get on top  and discover a trail that leads back into the mountains   we didn't go any further for my chest was pounding and hurting therefore recognizing my heart had been pumped enough already for the day  (more conditioning on the way)   after a short snack break, we head down the end of the trail to see where it actually starts   once down and looking back up, it is not very obvious that there's a trail there   mostly rock again and sandy gravel    i fell on my bad knee on the way up on sandy gravel   i was immediately reminded to get that hiking stick out   didn't think i'd need it today having Jimmy along   i was wrong!   definitely need the hiking cane regardless   i'll search for a collapsable one which i can fold up when not needed   i only need it on these steep inclines to assist my bad knee and give me a better grip on that sandy gravel   but over all it was another good hike    tomorrow will be a rest day   i can tell i need to build up my cardio on these slopes   plus their hard on my knee   so i'll hike every other day   that'll be good enough for Jimmy and me  ...i did wonder how the hiking will be if Tabou ends up here   only time will tell...

overall, it's been a very good day!

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Goodness, You have worn me out!  MY heart can't take it!  Be careful on those trails!   Anne